Monday, November 29

Books I Want...a blog for myself

Thanksgiving has gone, and now it seems like there is no time at all before Christmas is here.  Which is a happy feeling as well as stressful.  I graduate on the 17th, and I keep thinking - I have so much to do before then.  I have 5 tests.  That's it.  It doesn't seem like much, but they are in the span of 7 days - that's the kicker.  Stress levels are high, but the Christmas trees in my living room help to elicit calm - even when there is none is the foreseeable future.


Hubby and I decided to get gifts for each other this year.  This seemed like a good idea at the time we decided, but I have no idea what to get him.  Unlike me, he does not have perpetual lists of things that he wants (to my knowledge, anyway).  I have a list on the Notes App of my phone and it even has two categories: Things & Books.  I love books.  If I could just live at Barnes & Noble, or at my imaginary Amazon.com's Library....it would be a happy day.  I know there are libraries, but libraries smell after some time...couldn't live there.

There is one book, in particular, that I have my eye one:


books.jpg

This seems to take all the books in the Hebrew Bible, arrange them in the order that the Hebrew Bible is in, and then puts on verse-by-verse commentaries for the passages.  It also includes different rabbinical interpretations and texts, articles from Jewish Scholars, and a few articles on the different ways to interpret the bible! :D

Call me a nerd, but this is exciting! Other's I am interested in are:

9781851686353.jpg
I read the back of the cover at a professor's house once and the book has stuck with me.  It refers to the one verse in the Qur'an that talks about the crucifixion of Jesus. "But they killed him not, Nor crucified him, but so it was made to appear to them, and those who differ therein are full of doubts, with no (certain) knowledge, but only conjunction to follow, for of a surety they killed him not." (4:156-159)  This is the verse that the text deals with - and it seems absolutely enthralling! :D

jesus-a-revolutionary-biography.jpg



Just sounds interesting - I love Borg & Crossan books, own several of them and am currently reading The First Christmas which discusses what we know about the Infancy Narratives and how this gives them a different/deeper meaning because of this knowledge.

Just a few things I have had my eye on - in the Book column of my list, haha.

One of the reasons I have been putting off buying this i because of the possibility of getting an eReader for graduation.  I don't want to bog myself down with pages and pages and pages if I can have digital copies...so we'll see!

The end.  Class is starting.


No comments:

Post a Comment